Author Topic: Fabricio Werdum's turn to fight Fedor Next  (Read 2197 times)

Rainy

• Wisdom: 1
Fabricio Werdum's turn to fight Fedor Next
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
“It’s my turn now. I have a lot of respect for Fedor. He is the best in the world. I already fought (Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion) Alistair Overeem in Japan. It’s my turn to fight Fedor. I believe in my techniques and if it goes to the ground, I believe in my jiu-jitsu.”

Werdum (13-4-1) defeated fellow Brazilian heavyweight via unanimous decision, demonstrating incredible resilience after weathering an onslaught of blows in the first-round. After the victory, Werdum feels that it’s his turn to face the Russian heavyweight.

After vanquishing Brett Rogers with a devastating right hand, Emelianenko appears to be fighting at the highest level of his career. For Werdum, that means preparing for a man that may very well have no weaknesses.

“I have respect for Fedor,” said Werdum. “He’s the best in the world, but I want my opportunity.”

When asked to if Werdum should be the next opponent for his prized attraction, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker agreed.

“That makes a lot of sense,” said Coker.

Werdum’s game is based on the mat. His jiu-jitsu skills are on par with almost any heavyweight on the planet, but all fights start on the feet. Any chance Werdum has to last to the later rounds will likely be determined by his striking defense.

Having trained with renowned striker Mirko Cro Cop, Werdum has improved his standing skills dramatically over the past few years.

However, before the matchup between Werdum and Emelianenko can take place, Fedor first has to recover from injuries sustained in the Brett Rogers fight. Coker said that Emelianenko has an injured hand and broken nose.

Emelianenko is likely to be sidelined for four to six months.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:37:29 AM by webmaster »

Martial-Way - Martial Arts Forum

Fabricio Werdum's turn to fight Fedor Next
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
Webmartial Shop - Martial arts products and equipment, directly from China. Worldwide shipping.

Christmas is coming soon! A Chinese drawing offered for orders > $100. A surprise gift in each order. Click here to benefit of it!
* Until December 25th, 2017