Author Topic: Qigong [construction1]  (Read 860 times)

Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Wisdom: 0
Qigong [construction1]
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
In this topic will be constructed the article about Qi Gong, for Wikimartial :
http://www.martial-way.com/wikimartial.html

1.What is Qigong ?

Qigong (simplified Chinese : 气功 - traditional Chinese : 氣功) contains two chinese characters meaning  "vital energy" (Qi) and "work" (Gong).

According to the Shuowen jiezi說文解字, China’s oldest dictionary, “the effort to stabilize the country is called gong 功. [The character gong is made up of two characters], li力 [“force”, “strength”, “force”] and gong 工[“labor”, “skill”].”

The term qigong rarely (if ever) appears in traditional. Classical sources refer to qi-circulation exercises which we now call “qigong” by the names 吐吶、行氣、布氣、服氣、導引、煉氣、煉丹 and even 修道and坐禪.

Qi-gong, is the practice of circulating the qi in body, through breathing, motions and intention, with the goal of having the qi of the body communicate with the qi of Heaven, for this was believed to enhance one’s health, prolong one’s lifespan, and even make one an immortal.

In short, qi-gong, is circulating the qi for health, longevity and immortality.

Martial artists engage in qi-gong for several reasons:
1)   Opening qi-obstructions, which allows for better health, strength and flexibility.
2)   Training of the mind and intention in stillness (jing,靜). That is, qi-gong constitutes the yin (=stillness) aspect of training while the forms and applications constitutes the yang (=moving, dong動 ) aspect of training. Naturally both the yin (mind/spirit/intention) and yang (body) aspect of a human being must be trained and cultivated. Only a fighter who trained his mind and intention can attain true mastery of gongfu.
3)   Qi-gong is the method used to make the “qi sink into the dantian.” The qi sinking into the dantian is considered to be a psychophysical breakthrough (or the result of such breakthrough), a breakthrough which lead to the total transformation of one’s fighting ability. No one can guide his qi into the dantian without mastering his mind-intention first. That is one important reason why training the mind is so important.

2. History of Qigong

3. Practice of Qigong

To practice Qi Gong, we use :

- Very diversified movements et generally very slow.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:46:42 AM by Webmaster »

Martial-Way - Martial Arts Forum

Qigong [construction1]
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
Martial Way Shop - Martial arts products and equipment, directly from China. Worldwide shipping.

Tai Chi
Kung Fu
Jeet Kune Do
Weapons
Wing Chun
Sanda
Kendo & Iaido
Karate
Training
Taekwondo
MMA
Boxing
Personalized Service
Videos & Books

Webmaster

• Administrator
Re: Qigong [construction1]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
Added in 1. What is Qigong ?

Qigong (气功) contains two chinese characters meaning  "vital energy" and "work" (Gong 功).

Blue Magpie

• Dragon Egg
  • Wisdom: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
According to the Shuowen jiezi說文解字, China’s oldest dictionary, “the effort to stabilize the country is called gong功. [The character gong is made up of two characters], li力 [“force”, “strength”, “force”] and gong 工[“labor”, “skill”].”

The term qigong rarely (if ever) appears in traditional. At least, I’ve never encountered it. Classical sources refer to qi-circulation exercises which we now call “qigong” by the names 吐吶、行氣、布氣、服氣、導引、煉氣、煉丹 and even 修道and坐禪.

I hope that help a little.

Blue Magpie.

Webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:37:24 AM »
Thank you, I have added traditional Chinese characters of Qigong and your comments in 1. What is Qigong ?

Webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:47 AM »
Added in 3. Practice of Qigong

To practice Qi Gong, we use :

- Very diversified movements et generally very slow.

Blue Magpie

• Dragon Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
Qi-gong, as I understand it, is the practice of circulating the qi in body, through breathing, motions and intention, with the goal of having the qi of the body communicate with the qi of Heaven, for this was believed to enhance one’s health, prolong one’s lifespan, and even make one an immortal.

In short, qi-gong, is circulating the qi for health, longevity and immortality.

Martial artists engage in qi-gong for several reasons:
1)   Opening qi-obstructions, which allows for better health, strength and flexibility.
2)   Training of the mind and intention in stillness (jing,靜). That is, qi-gong constitutes the yin (=stillness) aspect of training while the forms and applications constitutes the yang (=moving, dong動 ) aspect of training. Naturally both the yin (mind/spirit/intention) and yang (body) aspect of a human being must be trained and cultivated. Only a fighter who trained his mind and intention can attain true mastery of gongfu.
3)   Qi-gong is the method used to make the “qi sink into the dantian.” The qi sinking into the dantian is considered to be a psychophysical breakthrough (or the result of such breakthrough), a breakthrough which lead to the total transformation of one’s fighting ability. No one can guide his qi into the dantian without mastering his mind-intention first. That is one important reason why training the mind is so important.

what do you think?

Blue Magpie

Webmaster

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
Great text Blue Magpie ! I have added it in "1.What is Qigong ?"

sophisticus

• Dragon Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
Can we think Qi Gong is an internal martial art? Is it a basic training for all Chinese martial arts? I do the pole standing (zhan zhuang) regularly, is it also belong to Qi Gong? The principle seems similar.

Blue Magpie

• Dragon Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:29:46 AM »
Great text Blue Magpie ! I have added it in "1.What is Qigong ?"

Thank you Webmaster!

Can we think Qi Gong is an internal martial art? Is it a basic training for all Chinese martial arts? I do the pole standing (zhan zhuang) regularly, is it also belong to Qi Gong? The principle seems similar.

I think that qigong is not a martial art in itself, but a part (an important part) of internal martial arts systems. You are right, Zhan zhuang is a qi gong exercise. And this exercise is  used in internal martial arts systems.

Zhan zhuang is meant to make qi-flow smoother, to make the practitioner be aware of the energy flow in the body, to relax the muscles and perfect body alignment, but also to train the mind, to cultivate calmness (when fighting, being calm is vital).

Some teachers have their students stand in zhan zhuang for 45 minutes straight. It makes the whole body shake. But it is wrong. Maintaining one posture for that long damages the cartilages. You should not stand in zhan zhuang for more than 5-10 minutes.

sophisticus

• Dragon Egg
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
I think that qigong is not a martial art in itself, but a part (an important part) of internal martial arts systems. You are right, Zhan zhuang is a qi gong exercise. And this exercise is  used in internal martial arts systems.

Zhan zhuang is meant to make qi-flow smoother, to make the practitioner be aware of the energy flow in the body, to relax the muscles and perfect body alignment, but also to train the mind, to cultivate calmness (when fighting, being calm is vital).

Some teachers have their students stand in zhan zhuang for 45 minutes straight. It makes the whole body shake. But it is wrong. Maintaining one posture for that long damages the cartilages. You should not stand in zhan zhuang for more than 5-10 minutes.

Thank you Blue Magpie!! I appreciate this post, really useful for me, i do 30 mins Zhan Zhuang, my teacher doesn't tell me the timing exactly i should do, he just said, i can stand more and more long time when my internal strength grow, but personally, i feel a little unconfortable about my knee cartilages, so i doubt whether i should continue in this way.

But you know, even i ask my teacher about knee pb, he said may be the pb cause of my standing position is not correct, the neck and spine should keep straight they will hang the body, and the knee will not take the body weight. Frankly speaking, even i do it as he said, i still feel some uncomfortable about my knee cartilage.  And i think it has been always a problem, a woman i knew in a Qi gong team just stoped Qi Gong Training because of her knee problem, i often watched their whloe lesson, they do the Qi gong training in a zhang zhuang position, and the training is more than 1h30!!!!

Cartilage problem is always a confused topic for me and also for a lot of practitioners, today your post make me sure about myself,  i decide to listen to my body and reduce the Zhan zhuang time, respect the nature and listen to yourself is also a lesson as you mentioned in last post, thanks again to talk about this topic!

Blue Magpie

• Dragon Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
Hi Sophisticus

I am glad I could help!

The purpose of each and every gongfu exercise, not only zhan zhuang, should be defined very clearly. We should ask, and keep asking, "why are we doing this?", "what is the purpose of that?" etc. So what is the purpose of zhan zhuang? why is it necessary to stand for 30 minutes? This must be defined. Otherwise, we waste precious time, and do not really improve.

Gongfu masters really have a lot of knowledge, but they don't know everything. And furthermore, sometimes they have mistaken ideas. The best way, I think, is to listen to what they say but then confirm the validity of their claims with professionals trained in modern science (doctors, physical therapists, fitness instructors etc.). I have been doing it for several years now, and I found out that many times gongfu masters are wrong; they tell you to do things which will hurt you. They are not bad, they simply don't know.

* Recent Posts

post The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale - Johnson vs. Gaethje - Fight Card
[MMA Fight Cards]
WM
June 26, 2017, 04:21:44 PM
post UFC Fight Night 112 - Chiesa vs. Lee - Results
[MMA Results]
WM
June 26, 2017, 04:48:55 AM
post Re: Your predictions for the Mayweather fight against McGregor
[MMA / Free Fight]
Webmaster