Yes
1 (33.3%)
No
0 (0%)
I don't care...
0 (0%)
My Sifu told me about it.
1 (33.3%)
I practice Martial Arts just for being powerful.
1 (33.3%)
It's useless!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Martial Virtues  (Read 7910 times)

Rainy

• Wisdom: 1
Martial Virtues
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »
Martial Virtues: Honor, Integrity, Loyalty, Truth.
 #UC35  The basic virtue of a swordsman is to help the weak and the poor.   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:08:42 PM by webmaster »

Martial-Way - Martial Arts Forum

Martial Virtues
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »
Webmartial Shop - Martial arts products and equipment, directly from China. Worldwide shipping.

Christmas is coming soon! A Chinese drawing offered for orders > $100. A surprise gift in each order. Click here to benefit of it!
* Until December 25th, 2017

Chienpei

• Dragon Egg
  • Wisdom: 0
Re: Martial Virtues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:46:06 AM »
The 17th century French mathematician Blaise Pascal observed that "Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical." Likewise there have been many who say that only someone who is secure in their ability to defend themself can truly be a pacifist.

This piece of wisdom is certainly universal. There is a Buddhist proverb that states every temple has Vaisravana guarding it. Martial virtue is an extremely important concept.

I was always under the impression that teachers consider martial virtue to be the most important aspect for judging students. Only students who cultivate a high standard of morality were considered worthy of training in traditional Chinese society.

I understood that those who are not moral in their deed are not worthy of being taught. Since someone cannot be trusted without a high sense of morality it would not be right to train him or her. Someone who achieves a high level of training and actually understands the disciplines they were taught would not need to harm anyone. Peace comes with security, and a secure confident person would never hurt another human being.

I apologize for bumping the thread, but I felt this was an important concept.