Author Topic: Ip Man 2  (Read 3916 times)

Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Wisdom: 0
Ip Man 2
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
Ip Man 2 will be available in cinema in China on April 29th.

Martial-Way - Martial Arts Forum

Ip Man 2
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
Martial Way Shop - Martial arts products and equipment, directly from China. Worldwide shipping.

Back to Martial Art School Promo! -10% on all products! Click here to benefit of this promotion!
* Until October 15th, 2017

grado

• Dragon Egg
Re: Ip Man 2
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:14:19 AM »
You know, when the first time heard about the movie, IP Man ? There Supper Man, Spider Man, Iron Man, Bet Man, and Woman, What's IP Man ? Hacker or something like that?

I think about this thing in a really long time, after I watched the movie. Finally I get the meaning

THAT'S HONG KONG CHINESE DIRECTLY SPELLING !!!!

Webmaster

• Administrator
Re: Ip Man 2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:31:26 AM »
Hi grado,

Yes, it's funny, I also thought of a kind of hacker movie the first time I heard about a "IP man", "IP" like IP internet address  #UC62

Actually the movie should have been called "Grandmaster Yip Man", but there was already a movie with a similar name. So they decided to call it "Ip Man".  #UC67

This is the explanation in Wikipedia about the movie title controversy :

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_(film)

Film title controversy

Ip Man's original title was controversial. It was disputed when film director Wong Kar-wai announced plans to make his own Ip Man film with Tony Leung Chiu-Wai while filming 2046. Wong had planned his own Ip Man biopic titled The Great Master (一代宗师), with Leung in the role of Ip. Wong's film, however, had been in development hell, having been announced several years earlier. Producer Raymond Wong wanted to name his film Grandmaster Yip Man, which bore a resemblance to the title Wong Kar-wai wanted to use for his film.[14]

To settle the dispute, Raymond Wong publicly retracted the film title, stating "Actually, all along, we have called our film Ip Man, but our mainland investors said that Yip Man was a great master of his times, so we changed our title to Grandmaster Yip Man out of respect for him."[15] It was later announced that Wong Kar-wai's five-year rights to make the Ip Man biopic had expired and that Mandarin Films had stepped in with their film.[16] In a more recent interview, however, Raymond Wong revealed that The Great Master is currently in development.[17]